You Won’t Be Single For Long Vodka Cream Pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can (or 32 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 16 ounces pasta, such as penne rigate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
- Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic, and shallots.
- Gently sauté shallots for 3 to 5 minutes to develop their sweetness. Add vodka to the pan, 3 turns around the pan in a steady stream will equal about 1 cup.
- Reduce vodka by half, this will take 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and tomatoes then bring the sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the sauce simmers, cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente.
- Return to the sauce and stir in heavy cream. When the sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat.
- Toss the hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves.
Recipe Source: Rachael Ray, courtesy of foodnetwork.com