Red Wine-Infused Mushroom Swiss Burger
Makes 4 servings
2 strips bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
½ cup red wine
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt and black pepper, to taste
1 pound ground sirloin
½ cup shredded Gruyère or other Swiss cheese
2 cups arugula
4 potato buns, lightly toasted on the insides
1. Cook the bacon in a large sauté pan over medium heat for 5 minutes, until browned and crispy. Remove and reserve.
2. Drain off all but 1 teaspoon of the bacon fat, then return the pan to the stove.
3. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned.
4. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft.
5. Add the red wine and balsamic and simmer until the liquid begins to cling to the vegetables. Fold in the reserved bacon. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
6. Preheat a grill, grill pan, or cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
7. Gently form the sirloin into 4 equal patties. Season the patties on both sides with salt and pepper and cook for about 4 minutes, until nicely charred on the bottoms. Flip, immediately cover with the cheese, and continue cooking for another 4 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the burgers are firm but gently yielding to the touch.
8. Place a handful of arugula on the bottom of each bun and top with a burger. Divide the mushroom mixture among the 4 burgers and top with the bun tops.
Recipe by David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding, photo by Mitch Mandel and Thomas MacDonald courtesy eatthis.com