Mexican Hard Hot Chocolate
This indulgent concoction is a twist on your everyday hot chocolate but is made with unique spices, creamy dark chocolate and a splash of spiced rum. Its festiveness, rich aroma and decadent flavor is sure to lift your spirits.
- 1 quart half & half
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground nutmeg
- 4oz dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1oz spiced rum (Sailor Jerry's preferrably)
- Homemade whipped cream (optional)
- In medium saucepot add half & half, bring to a boil, add all spices.
- Add dark chocolate, constantly stir with a wisk until fully melted.
- Add sugar and cocoa powder, continuously stir.
- Add semi-sweet chocolate chips and vanilla extract, continuously stir until all ingredients are well incorporated, then take off of heat.
- Pour mixture into a 14oz mug and add 1oz of spiced rum
- Garnish with whipped cream and chili pepper, enjoy!
*Recipe courtesy of Kayla Sowards.