Classic Old Fashioned
This vintage cocktail places its roots in the mid 19th century, earning its title as the oldest known cocktail recipe. Simple but flavorsome, the Old Fashioned is widely regarded as the mixed drink of choice for cigar smokers for its astonishing ability to cut through the smoke while adding a slightly sweet, and even more subtle fruit flavor to the experience.
- 2 ounces Bourbon or Rye Whiskey
- 2 teaspoons Simple Syrup
- 2 dashes Angostua Bitters
- 2-3 large Ice Cubes (use clear cubes for a classier look)
- 1 Maraschino Cherry
- 1 thick piece of Orange Peel
- Pour the Bourbon/Rye Whiskey, Simple Syrup and Bitters into a rocks glass (preferably chilled)
- Stir with a bar spoon for about 5 seconds to mix up the flavors
- Add the Ice Cubes to the drink, then stir for about 10-15 seconds
- Garnish with the Cherry and Orange Peel
- Swish the liquid around in the glass a bit before drinking
*Tip: When using the bar spoon to stir, keep the flat side of the spoon against the inside edge of the glass. Stirring for 10-15 seconds allows the ice to melt enough to adequately chill/dilute the drink properly.
How to Make Clear Ice Cubes: Instructables.com