Chicken Pasta in White Wine
Makes 4 servings
There’s nothing better than having a restaurant quality pasta dish on the table in minutes. And this dish is packed with flavor thanks to Chardonnay and bursting with garlic and herb flavors. It’s not only amazingly delicious but so easy to make and ideal for a quick weeknight dinner or serving to company.
10 ounces pasta, such as penne or rigatoni
For the Chicken:
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
salt and pepper, to taste
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the White Wine Sauce:
4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
1 red onion diced
2 scallions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, sliced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup white wine, such as Chardonnay
1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup chicken stock
½ cup shredded Parmesan, plus more for garnish
2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
½ teaspoon salt, plus more if desired
½ teaspoon paprika
1. Cooking Pasta: Start boiling salted water to cook pasta al dente according to package instructions (not too soft—we will add it to the sauce later where it will have a chance to soften up). Drain, but do not rinse.
2. Searing Chicken: Paper towel dry the chicken and generously season with Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large deep skillet. Add chicken breasts and cook on medium high heat for a total of 4 minutes on each side until nicely browned for a total of 8 minutes. If it’s not done yet, reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid and cook covered for 4 to 5 additional minutes until no longer pink in the center. Make sure that all liquid, if any, is removed after cooking the chicken (depends on the chicken you use), otherwise the dish will be too watery. Remove chicken from the skillet.
3. MAKING WINE SAUCE: Melt butter in the hot stainless-steel skillet and add red onion and chopped scallions. Cook on medium high until onions and scallions are softened for a total of 4 minutes. Add sliced garlic cloves and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Now add diced tomatoes, cook only for a couple of minutes and reduce heat to medium. Add the flour to pan and stir to combine with a wooden spoon.
4. Add wine and cook on medium high for 2 to 3 minutes. Add heavy cream and chicken stock, reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Turn off heat, add shredded Parmesan cheese and whisk until you have a smooth mixture. Add Italian Seasoning, salt and paprika. Mix well. Taste the sauce and add more seasoning if desired.
5. PUTTING THE DISH TOGETHER: Add cooked pasta to the skillet with the sauce and mix it into the sauce with a wooden spoon. While pasta is absorbing the sauce, slice cooked chicken breasts. Add sliced chicken to the pan and cover with a lid to reheat them. You can serve sliced chicken either mixed in with pasta or on top of pasta—and don’t forget to sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Recipe & Photo: Courtesy of What's in the Pan