Bourbon Spiked Chili
- approximately 3/4 cup Bourbon
- 1 pound ground beef
- approximately 1 bowl of cooked & chopped spicy sausage (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 cup of beef broth
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- red pepper flakes to taste
- After gathering all your ingredients, chop the onions and garlic semi-finely and set aside in a bowl. Next, add about ¼ cup vegetable oil to an iron pot and set on medium-medium high heat. Once the oil starts to heat up, toss in the onions and garlic.
- When the onions turn a warm yellow color, add your ground beef. Remember to break up the beef and stir continuously with a wooden spoon or spatula to ensure it cooks evenly.
- Next add the cooked sausage (optional) and seasoning, stiring evenly. After the seasoning is mixed in, stir in the canned tomatoes.
- Now it’s time to add the bourbon and beef broth. Toss in ¾ cup of bourbon to start and then add ½ cup of beef broth. We recommend starting with less and adding more as you go.
- Once you feel your ratios are right, let it simmer for about 40 mins. Once that is complete, it’s time to taste test. Add what you think you need to make it just right (i.e. if you think the bourbon is too strong then add more beef broth to dilute).
- Lastly, add the kidney beans and let simmer for 10 minutes (adding these last helps to avoid mushy beans).
* Recipe courtesy of Kate Murphy via wonderhowto.com