Brats and Toppings:
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cans lager beer
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 fresh bratwursts
- 8 fresh hot dog buns, toasted
- 2 cups sauerkraut, for topping
- Dijon mustard, for topping
- 1 to 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos, chopped for topping
Beer Cheese Sauce: (Yields 2 cups)
- 12 ounces pasteurized cheese product, cubed, such as Velveeta
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup reserved beer braising liquid, more if needed
Beer Cheese Sauce:
- Add the cheese and mustard to a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until melted and smooth.
- Add the beer braising liquid and stir to combine.
- Add more braising liquid if the sauce is too thick; the sauce should be velvety.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Add the apples, onions, beer, salt and pepper in a medium pot or Dutch oven. Simmer until the apples and onions soften, usually takes a few minutes.
- Add in the brats and simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes, turning once.
- Remove the brats from the liquid and reserve the beer braising liquid.
- Brown the brats on the grill, covering with a metal bowl if using a grill pan, until you get nice grill marks on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Place the brats on the buns and drizzle with some of the Beer Cheese Sauce.
- Top with the sauerkraut, some mustard and the jalapenos.
Recipe Source: foodnetwork.com